Inserisci sottotitolo qui


Le Tombolaie di Offida
Le Tombolaie di Offida
Santa Maria della Rocca
Santa Maria della Rocca

This beguiling hill town is one of the southern Marche's smaller gems and belongs to the association "The most beautiful villages in Italy".
It is a typical female tradition of Offida "the art of pillow lace", which today is still passed on by generation to generation. 

Main sights

  • The church of Santa Maria della Rocca is considered one of the main architectural features of the whole Marche region. It is located on the westernmost tip of the town, surrounded on three sides by ravines that enhance its size. It is a large brickwork construction in Romanesque-Gothic style, designed by a master Albertino in 1330 on a pre-existing Benedictine church. The façade, looking towards the countryside, has fake columns; on the town's sides are three tall polygonal apses with fake columns in white stone, mullioned windows and Gothic Lombard bands.
  • In the central apse is a Gothic portal leading to the crypt (with a nave and four aisles - originally only two aisles) which has the same surface of the upper church and is decorated by frescoes attributed to the Master of Offida. The upper church, with a single hall, has Giottoesque frescoes, some attributed to the Master of Offida (one is dated 1367[2] and others to Giacomo da Campli (16th century). Some of the original decorations are much ruined or lost at all. Among the side altars, the St. Andrew one has a canvas by Vincenzo Pagani.
  • The Palazzo Comunale ("Town Hall"), built between the 13th and 14th century. It has a merloned central tower, while the façade is preceded by a portico with seven arcades and a loggia added in the 15th century. 
  • Sanctuary of St. Augustine, built in 1338-1441. The façade is in Baroque stle (1686), while the interior was modified and expanded in the 18th century with Latin Cross plan and late Baroque decorations. 
  • Church of Madonna dell Suffragio, with an external fresco by Simone de Magistris.
  • Monastery of San Marco, built by the Franciscans in the 14th century. The church with the same name is from 1738 (a rose window and other Gothic-style details from a pre-existing structure can be seen today).